Are you interested in testing out your green thumb, or already know you have one, but do not have the space because of city living? We have curated a starter guide for how to experience rural gardening in the urban jungle!
Growing your own herbs or house plants is becoming more popular, especially among Millennials. According to the National Gardening Survey, in 2016, 5 million of the 6 million “new” gardening households that year, were Millennials!
Which plants should I pick?
- Blazing star
- False rosemary
- House plants
- Peace lily
- Swedish ivy
- Footed ferns
- Practice of growing plants exclusively in containers instead of planting them in the ground.
- Practice of growing plants attached to or built on a wall.
- Practice of growing plants upward using a trellis or other support system.
- Upside down
- Practice of growing a vegetable garden being the suspension of soil and seedlings to eliminate the typical gardening tasks of tilling, weeding, and staking plants.
- A method of growing plants in a soil-less medium, or an aquatic base environment. This method uses mineral nutrient solutions to feed the plants in water, without soil.
- Green roofs
- A method of growing plants on the roof of a building that is partially or completely covered with vegetation and a growing medium, planted over a waterproofing membrane.
Whether you are just getting started in gardening and want to start out small, or are an experienced veteran who simply does not have a large plot of land to work with, urban gardening can be accomplished anywhere and in any way with these helpful tips and tricks!